August 16, 2011 cf. http://www.gov.pe.ca/
CHARLOTTETOWN, PEI -- A number of provincial properties were recently designated as heritage places as a means to highlight and preserve the Island’s history, says Tourism and Culture Minister Robert Vessey.
“These buildings and places teach us about the history and the accomplishments of our ancestors, while reflecting the pride of their owners and communities today,” said the minister. “I want to congratulate the property owners who recognize the historic value of these structures and who work to preserve them.”
Five properties were recognized this summer as designated provincial heritage sites under the Heritage Places Protection Act. Each property received a certificate and provincial heritage plaque:
- Farmers’ Bank of Rustico;
- Barachois Inn, Rustico;
- Souris Town Hall;
- McLean House Inn, Souris; and
- St. James United Church, West Covehead.
In addition, a number of properties were recognized as registered heritage places under provincial legislation. These properties are recognized for their heritage value to their communities and to the province on the basis of their age, architectural features, integrity and historical associations. The following properties were added to the Prince Edward Island Register of Heritage Places in June:
- The John A. Macdonald Store, Cardigan;
- Clow House, Murray Harbour North;
- Underhay House, Eglington;
- Price-Affleck House, Lower Bedeque;
- Glenaladale House, Tracadie Cross;
- Historic Maplethorpe B&B, Bedeque;
- Tulloch House, Marshfield;
- Sims Pioneer Field Cemetery;
- Yankee Hill Cemetery; and
- The Princetown Public Burying Ground.
Under the Heritage Places Protection Act, properties may be registered or designated as a heritage place. Designation under the Heritage Places Protection Act provides legal protection of the places, and changes to the exterior historic architecture or character-defining elements may require a heritage permit. Nominations for the Register of Heritage Places are reviewed and evaluated by the Heritage Places Advisory Board for a number of criteria.
There are more than 820 Island heritage places listings on the provincial (www.peihistoricplaces.ca) and national (www.historicplaces.ca) Historic Places websites.
Further information regarding Prince Edward Island heritage places and the heritage recognition program can be found at www.peihistoricplaces.ca.
The following properties have been designated under the provincial Heritage Places Protection Act:
Souris Town Hall:
Photo cf. http://www.sourispei.com/town.html
Built in 1905, this Island sandstone building was the post office and customs house for the town until the 1960s when the post office relocated. Over the years, a number of government offices have been located here and it now houses the town administrative offices, council chamber and the Souris branch of the provincial library.
McLean House Inn, Souris :
Photo cf. http://www.mcleanhouseinn.com/
This home was built in 1875 for John McLean (1845-1936), partner in the very successful Matthew and McLean business. McLean served in provincial and federal politics prior to being appointed to the Senate. This large, three-storey Second Empire home retains many of its original architectural features and overlooks Souris Harbour. It is now operated as tourist accommodation.
Farmers’ Bank of Rustico :
Built between 1861-1864 of locally quarried Island sandstone, the Farmers’ Bank was established to provide low interest loans to local farmers – a precursor to the credit union system. The Bank issued its own currency and wound up operations in 1894. The Farmers’ Bank was also a community meeting centre and parish hall. It currently is operated as a museum. The Farmers’ Bank of Rustico was designated a National Historic Site in 1959.
Barachois Inn, Anglo Rustico:
Valued for its architectural style and integrity, association with the Gallant family and importance to its community, the Barachois Inn was built in 1880 for Joseph Gallant, a prosperous local merchant. Part of the main floor was a general store and, later, a telephone office, and the upper floors were residence for the Gallant family. Since the 1980s, the current owners have restored the property and operate the property as an award-winning inn.
St. James United Church, West Covehead :
St. James United Church is a fine example of a rectangular Meeting House, with Classical Revival architectural design elements. It is one of the oldest churches in the province. It was built in 1837, replacing two earlier churches. The Presbyterian faith came to Covehead in 1791, as it was part of a preaching circuit by a visiting Nova Scotia clergyman serving the Scottish settlers who arrived in 1770. By 1806, Covehead was part of the first organized Presbyterian congregation in PEI. In 1925, the St. James congregation joined the United Church of Canada.
For more information, contact Mary Moszynski, Tourism and Culture by email at email@example.com or phone (902) 368-5535.