Construction of the church began in late summer of 1838. A letter between the Priest at Saint-Henri de Barachois, New Brunswick and the priest at St. Augustine talks about the new church at Rustico.
Fore more information of the 175th Anniversary see the following article in the Guardian newspaper...
Below images cf. Historic Places Website
Above: Image from Meachams 1880 Atlas of PEI
Below: "In Rustico Chapel: Acadian Nuns at prayer" sketch by Robert Harris, late 19th-century